Monday, May 14, 2012

Junk lamp makeover

We needed more light in our living room so I have been lamp shopping for a while.  Turns out, lamps are kind of expensive.  I needed cheap and ugly but with potential!  After a few thrift store runs with no success I discovered this in my parents basement:
Unfortunately, this is the best before picture I took.  The lamp shade had that accordion fabric cover on it, it was a breeze to pull off.  I cleaned it really good, see how shiny it is : )  Then I primed it and painted it this fabulous yellow!
I scuffed it up a bit to get the shabby look I wanted.  Then I used a gloss varnish to seal it and make it just the right shinyness : )

Now for the shade.  I got some inexpensive fabric and traced the lamp shade by rolling it over the fabric and marking with a pencil on the top and bottom of the shade.  Then I cut it, leaving about a half inch extra to sew.   I hemmed the top and bottom, then sewed the two ends together.  It slipped right over the shade.   It needed a little something still, so these fabric rosettes worked perfect!

 See that fun yellow pot?  That was the inspiration for the yellow.
  I am thrilled with how it turned out!  I love a good cheap project : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...